Impostor Syndrome

I had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with James Junius  Singer - Songwriter from Austin, Texas. This week’s guest artist for the FollowMyGig - Your Voice Matters Blog. I learned about his journey from attending college in Ephraim, Utah working in construction to making connections and moving to Austin Texas to write and record his debut release with Executive Producer Terry Lickona. I will definitely be reaching out to James in the future for an update on his adventures and to help spread his music when his album releases later in 2017.


James Junius Picture.jpg


JAMES JUNIUS

SINGER - SONGWRITER

I had not chosen a topic for the blog and decided instead to just see where the conversation lead us. By the end of our time together we both agreed that:Impostor Syndrome was a great title and a topic we had revisited during out chat.  I could have just as easily titled it: "The boy that Fate kissed" James has definitely had some serendipitous adventures.


Impostor Syndrome


FMG: James you are a Utah native correct?

James: That’s right, I was attending Snow College in Ephraim, Utah for a couple of years and working construction to support myself.  Writing music every opportunity I found some free time.  

FMG: What was your major?

James:I didn't really fit in any specific programs in the music department, but my professors and mentors went above and beyond to help me find my path which gave me the foundational basis for what I have been able to accomplish with my degree. I pretty much got a music business degree based on the classes I was able to pick and chose to qualify for that. The caliber of faculty and the amount of support there is amazing.  I loved Snow College and would not be the same person today had I not had my experiences there.

FMG: What projects are you currently working on?

James:  I just finished recording my debut release. Terry Lickona is the Executive Producer of Austin City Limits and is the one producing my album.

FMG: How did you get connected with him?  

James: I used to watch the show and noticed his name in the credits and sent him a friend request on Facebook. Terry liked some pictures I had taken while hiking in Glacier National Park and our conversation took off from there. He saw that I was a musician and listened to some of my songs and we began talking about songwriting and songwriters.  Once he learned that I was a fan of James Taylor he invited me to come down and watch a taping of the show that featured James.  I actually got to meet James before hand and tell him how I thought he wrote “Sweet Baby James” for me when I was younger.  My parents were big fans and had named me after him. He actually gave me a hat tip on the show after playing that song.


FMG: I went and watched the video. How awesome is that! https://youtu.be/KLsgF_EyMAM?t=3m30s


James: I have had so many great opportunities since moving to Austin to meet several of my music heroes.  It’s been a very surreal experience.  I mean these are all artists I grew up listening to and looking up to for inspiration and now I am bumping into them as colleagues.  I realize that they are all just like me artists that work on their craft every day willing to be vulnerable and to share it with others.  I feel like an impostor some days for sure.  I recently watched a video on the Impostor Syndrome and have a new favorite quote from it. ‘Kings and philosophers shit and so do ladies’.

Here is an expert from the video --

We are not barred by our vulnerabilities from doing what successful people do. This is what the philosopher Montaigne – writing in the 16th century – was attempting to do when he playfully informed his readers in plain French that: ‘Kings and philosophers shit and so do ladies’.

Making a leap of faith around what other people are really like helps us to humanize the world. It means that whenever we encounter a stranger we’re not really encountering a stranger, we’re in fact encountering someone who is – in spite of the surface evidence to the contrary – in basic ways very much like us – and that therefore nothing fundamental stands between us and the possibility of responsibility, success and fulfillment.

FMG: I completely understand feeling that way. How do you work on overcoming that and just push through it?

James: You know it is a challenge of mine to overcome self criticism and self pity.  I think we all experience that on some level.  I have found that just putting things in perspective really helps me work through that.  Take today, for example, I am in the process of researching videographers to choose one for a music video that I am making. When I started looking at the list  I was thinking “Oh man, this is going to take a lot of time and there are so many other things I would rather do with my time today." but then I paused and thought "Wow! What a horrible problem to have I get to make a music video"!  I just re-frame the situation when I start down a path when I am not present or grateful and look at it from a new perspective. It's also about self management. I have taken the reigns for myself and what I need to accomplish but I still need to find time to be creative.

FMG: Can you tell me a few things that you are grateful for?  

James: I feel like I have been so fortunate and have been able to stumble into the wonderful place I am.  You can reach out and build relationships through the connections that the internet provides. I can't thank Terry enough! Everything I have even to the shirt on my back is due to him.  His kindness and generosity is unlimited and I will be forever grateful. He is my best friend.

FMG: Who Inspires you?

James: I have amazing mentors and people in my world that are so kind and generous.  There are so many My parent, family, musicians, songwriters and all the people in my life that other people will never know about. One song in particular that I am drawing inspiration from recently is by Carole King from her song “Beautiful”.

“You've got to get up every morning With a smile in your face
And show the world all the love in your heart
The people gonna treat you better
You're gonna find, yes you will
That you're beautiful as you feel”

James: I am doing just that and living each day with my intention of showing love to the world through my work.

FMG: What is a myth about the industry that you would like to dispel?

James: That you can make a difference musically in others lives! I think too many people believe that you have to have some sort of qualification or level of expertise to become a musician or songwriter.  It's that impostor syndrome.  You think you can't deliver to the level of your heroes but they are people just like you.  Treat everybody with kindness because you never know how that person can impact your life and if you are giving love it will be a positive impact.

FMG: In closing who are some artists that you listen to that you would like to share with our readers?

James:  Oh I would definitely suggest you check out Cloud Cult and Bill Fay if you haven’t ever heard of them.  Such good philosophical songwriters and great messages in their music.

https://youtu.be/LEbDOSE0qIg

https://youtu.be/mJfca3ImjKc

FMG:  I have really enjoyed our conversation and look forward to listening to your new release!  You can find James’ current music here.  https://soundcloud.com/jamesjunius/make-america-kind-again  Thank you so much!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing: James Mauri

The journey to connection

Happy to Announce